1914 Was a Good Year
The Portsmouth Public Library began in 1914 as the result of efforts by the Students Club to provide a library for the citizens of Portsmouth. Most of the books in the original collection were donations from the Seaboard Air Line Railroad and the Portsmouth YMCA. The African American community established the Community Library in 1945. The land for the new facility was purchased with contributions from the community, and the City provided the building. The two libraries were merged in 1963 and moved to the current building at 601 Court Street. Since then, the library has seen many changes, including the addition of three branches.
Fun Facts about the year 1914!