ALL Portsmouth Public Library Locations now offer free Wireless Internet access (WiFi)
- Our WiFi network is an open, unsecured connection.
- Do not send personal or any sensitive data you do not want others to see while on the WiFi network.
- Do not do online banking or make purchases online with a credit card while using an unsecured connection.
- Make sure your battery is charged or bring a spare. There may not be electrical outlets available.
How do I use WiFi at the library?
- You will need to bring your own laptop computer to the library. Your Laptop will need to have built-in WiFi or you will need to purchase and install a WiFi network card. The Library does not provide wireless cards and does not install them.
- Most WiFi equipment will be compatible with library’s WiFi network. The library can make no guarantees that you will be able to connect with the library’s network.
- To connect to the wireless network our Wireless access points located in the library buildings communicate with your wireless device. You should be able to connect anywhere in the library. When your wireless network card senses a signal, a message appears on the screen indicating a wireless network is available. Open your web browser and it will automatically connect to the Internet. When connecting to the Internet you are agreeing to abide by PPL’s Internet use Policy.
- Whether you live in Portsmouth, travel here on business or even if you are visiting on your boat, there is no need to wait for one of our Public Computers to become available. Just turn your wireless enabled laptop on and it will find our network, no configuration is necessary.
- You are responsible for setting up your own equipment. If you are not familiar with computers or networking, we recommend bringing someone with you who can help you configure your laptop. Check your manual or look on the WiFi help page.
- Our Internet use policy is still in effect when you are using the Library’s Wi-Fi.
*Remember, other patrons can still see your screen*
- The Library’s Wireless network is not secure. Keep this in mind as you surf the web. Do not send personal information unless you know the recipient is a reputable business that uses encryption on their website. (Most have a little lock showing in the task bar)
- Printing is not available from the wireless network. You can save the information to a disk for printing at home, or send an email to yourself, then sign up for a public computer and print from there.
Wireless Card Settings
Use the software that came with your wireless card or computer to configure the settings and to verify a connection to the library’s wireless network.
- SSID (network name) = Portsmouth_Library
- DHCP = Obtain an IP address automatically
- DNS = Obtain DNS server address automatically